Mid Atlantic Capital Group is celebrating our 30th anniversary this year and we would like to thank you, our valued business partners, for your support. We couldn’t have done it without you!
Some other noteworthy events of 1983:
- President Reagan signed legislation that made the third Monday in January a national holiday commemorating Dr. Martin Luther King’s birthday.
- It was the birth year of the McNugget and the Swatch Watch, Michael Jackson introduced his signature “moonwalk” dance and “Go ahead, make my day” became a catchphrase.
- Jeanine (Colditz) Devine became a full-time employee of Mid Atlantic.
- Originally titled “Revenge of the Jedi,” Return of the Jedi was the triumphant conclusion to the original trilogy of Star Wars films.
- Nintendo released the original Mario Bros. arcade game, unleashing the Italian plumbers Mario and Luigi into the game-playing world.
- AOL was founded, though at the time it was called Control Video Corporation (CVC).
- Apple released its Apple IIe personal computer, often stylized as the Apple //e.
- The first episode of The A-Team aired on NBC on January 23rd.
- Sally K. Ride, 32, was the first US woman astronaut in space as a crew member aboard space shuttle Challenger .
- More than 125 million viewers tuned in to the last episode of M*A*S*H.
- With the introduction of noise-free compact discs, the vinyl record began a steep decline.
- The FCC authorized Motorola to begin testing cellular phone service in Chicago.
- The following celebrated one year anniversaries: the opening of Epcot at Disney World, the launch of the Sony compact disc player for consumers, the release of the Commodore 64 and the airing of The Weather Channel (United States) on cable television.
- Prince William turned one year old on June 21st.
Dave Down has been a dedicated employee of Mid Atlantic Capital Group for 26 years and currently serves as President and High Net Worth Services Group CEO. Despite a demanding work schedule, Dave volunteers much of his personal time to the Boy Scouts of America along with being very active in his church.
Dave was recently bestowed with the St. Joan of Arc Award which recognizes those individuals who significantly promote the spiritual aspects of the Girl Scout and Boy Scout programs. This award was established in honor of John Cardinal Wright for his efforts and accomplishments in enhancing the scouting programs while Bishop of Pittsburgh. Nominations are initiated by a member of the Catholic Committee on Scouting.
This is just one of the many reasons MACG is proud to have Dave as a leader of our team!